This course is an introduction to bladesmithing. I designed the program for people that want to build up skills and understand the fundamentals of the trade. If you are a total beginner, a knife enthusiast or a knife maker doing mostly stock removal and you want to explore the forging process, this course is for you.
I will show you what I consider to be the most important skills to have to become a bladesmith. This will give you confidence, safety tips and techniques to explore further.
The session is for 1 day and "one to one" (just you and me). Whilst you are forging your own blades, I will grind, polish and sharpen a limited edition Petty (140x30mm) knife for you to take home.
Forging can be hard physically but it's accessible to everyone. The cost of the course includes lunch and snacks during the day (any allergies has to be notified to me beforehand). Safety equipment such as hearing/eye protection and gloves are also included in the price. However, you are responsible for bringing clothes and shoes fit for the work (use low flammable materials and preferably heavy duty boots). Expected working hours are 9am to 5pm.
Any questions about the course can be submitted via e-mail.
I will explain and provide :
- Minimal safety training + PPE
- Basic forging techniques
- Understanding the forge and fire control
- Body posture and movements
- Steel for exercises
- Tools (hammers, anvil, tongs)
- Safety brief (glasses, ear defenders, gloves)
- Start the forge, introduce yourself to the tools
- How to hold tongs and hammer
- Posture and stance
- Forge several point (hand movement 90°, hammer angle, working piece angle, power and rhythm)
- Forge from round stock to flat
- Forge the point of the blade
- Forge the heel (separate the blade from the tang)
- Forge the length of the blade
- Forge the height of the blade
- Flatten the blade
- Forge the tang
- Forge the distal taper
- Forge your blades to it's final shape and dimension
You go home with all the blades you forged and the knife I made for you.
Please make sure you will be available for the date you select.